Our personal links

Hereunder are some of our yolasite links,
http://manneedsgod.co.uk,http://frankmenchise.com,http://diybrickwork.com,
Here are our blog links,

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Farm life in the past.

Dear readers, in this blog, we have written about D.I.W. building works. We have written and continue to write about social issues. Now, I am going to publish my own diary and what I see happening in the world, and when I do not have much to say, I will write posts from my life story.  

So, today I am writing a post from my life story, that I have called, My farm life experience

Anyhow, you can also find this article at, http://oldman-lifeworks.blogspot.com

My other sites; http://frankmenchise.com,http://diybrickwork.com,http://manneedsgod.co.uk  

You can see more at this addresses, DIY brickwork  and,  http://diybrickwork.com,  

To see more visit this link, My farm life experience



This is a loaded horse drawn cart. In the past bulky things were collected from the fields and taken to the farm house, with cart like this, usually it was hay or any other produce that grows in the fields, or wheat bundles that the drawn harvester machine had made, they were taken to the farm house to be threshed with the threshing machine.  
 

Welcome to my article, My farm life experience. 

Dear readers, this article is another chapter of my farm life story,  so, let us continue to tell my story.

Anyhow, our lives are full of surprises, and we must try to adapt whatever happens. This observation has made me think about things that have happened in the past. So, at this very moment, because I am mentally comparing the past with the present, and being June wheat harvest time in Italy, it has come to my mind the wheat harvester machines and other machines that the farmers’ have today. So, I wish we had those machines when I was young, it would have been a lot easier to work the fields and harvest; I know that our small farm could not afford them, but we could have hired one anyhow. I am going to paste a link of those machines that would have made life a lot easier for us, especially the wheat harvester, if they were available when I was young,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Wheat+Harvesting+Machine&FORM=RESTAB

Anyhow, looking back at my life and what I thought when I was young, I believe that there are times in our lives, when we don’t know whether the way that we are living it, is good or bad for us, but we will discover that life value much later in our lives. Having said that, now let us continue my life story. 

Anyhow, from my own point of view, I believe that you are going to agree with me that the way of life that I and those other youths, who had to live like me during those old times in the farms, it was a way of life that to most of us today may seem archaic, unreal and unfair, and indeed it was unfair to myself and to all those youths that ended up in a similar position as myself in their small family farms.

But at the time when this happened, it did not seem that bad, because we were so young when we started to work in the farms, so, we didn’t know about the drawback, because this way of life had been practiced from our forebears for many generations before us.

Therefore, nobody knew then of the adverse influence that it would bring to us in the future, since we didn’t know that we were placed in a disadvantaged situation; even our parents did not see how bad the situation could become, because they could not see how fast life was going to change, and even if they did guess that things were going to change, they didn’t know what else to do, since nobody knew in those times anything else, except that they had to follow the previous generations. So, let us talk about this unfair situation that we were in, while working in the farms in those times.

------------------------------------------------

Farm life unfair situation. 

Now, this situation that I am talking about was most unfair to the youths working in the farms, because it affected only us, but not all the young citizens of this rural town of Genzano di Lucania, because they would be living a better life in town.

So, as it happened, we a portion of the young citizen of Genzano became caught in a disadvantaged position including myself, and this position would affect us badly for the rest of our lives; but we didn’t know then that it was going to be a disadvantaged position in the future, and we did not know what else to do either, and there was nothing that could be done either. The few exceptions were those youths that their families owned a lot of land. Because it would be an advantage for them to stay in the farms and learn their future trade and then use their farm knowledge in the future to their advantages, in their own family farms, if they had a large enough farm to run.

But for the rest of us young men, who were working in small farms like myself, and did not own enough land to secure a good living in the future, what we were doing then would turn into a disadvantaged position later, but at the same time we had no other opportunities in life but to continue the old tradition of farming; because this same tradition of farming had been a way of life to the rural community of this agricultural town for centuries before us, therefore, when I was young it was thought to be the only way to earn a living, if you happened to own any land at all, you were doing well. So, we had to be trained to be farmers in order to look after our own small farm when we would become older, anyhow, in those times there was not much else that could be done, but this helping in the farm and training to be a farmer, became a great disadvantage, because of the changes that followed.

This way of living that I am talking about here would be better understood, if you read this other article that we have written in Hub Pages, Farming today compared to the old way, in this article we are describing how farming is changed and other ways of life as well. 

To understand what we want to say here, we should imagine ourselves living in the past and doing what needed to be done to feed yourselves. This old man here is cutting the wheat plants with a sickle, making small bundles, to be collected in bigger bundles, then taken to the farm house to be threshed.   
----------------------- 

Anyhow, to be fair, I must add that there were also a few other youths that their families were so poor, but they were working in the farm like us by looking after the farm animals and other small tasks, they had no land at all, so, they worked in the farm to be fed and a few other things, or a small pay, if the farmer could afford that. In those times there was no government help and everybody had to find a way how to earn enough to feed themselves and their families.  

Anyhow, nobody can be blamed for putting us youths in such a position, which in the end resulted in a disadvantaged position: because the same way of life had served the same community of farming for centuries, and those people were not disadvantaged at all. Because in those times, people used to accept life the way it was, if they had enough food on their table every day and a few other things, they were happy. But today because of the enormous change of the modern era, which has brought with it changes in the value of work that any worker does. Because of this change I became disadvantaged. But this is not all, because there is more that can be said, about the way we became and the ways that we were treated from the rest of the town community. But I suppose this was my destiny. 

-------------------------------

My own harsh destiny.  

Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule.

Anyhow, I believe that we are born in a family that also decides our destiny, because of the way that family lives and lived for centuries. Some of us believe that we are born with a destiny to fulfill, and if it is so; then my destiny is not a bright one, because from the beginning of my life I have had a hard life and this has continued during my life, perhaps it will still continue until I die. 

Anyhow, my farm life when I was young, was unfair to me and to those youths that had to live in the farm as I did; this fact of life is the main issue that I want to point out here, to show you how I had to struggle and to suffer while I was living in the farm, and in the future as well, as you will see, from these articles that I am writing. In fact, for me life was going to be much harder than I thought, since that way of life left me so far backward, because of that isolation that existed in the farms, I even lacked in local general knowledge about the people of the town, and also in communication skills including all those nice things that a person says and does, which would make that same person attractive to the rest of the community.

Here I must say that this early disadvantaged way of life, has affected me for the rest of my life, and although I have tried to improve myself during my life, I have never been able to catch up with the rest of the world. So that, I feel it within me even now, as if I will never be completely satisfied with myself, because I think that I could have been better off, if I had a better way of life when I was young.

But since what’s been done is done, so, we cannot go back and do it in a different way, I am stuck with it. Therefore, I had to put up with my backward way of life; and I had to accept that the only possible way that was left for me to earn a living for the rest of my life, it had to be hard physical work, which I did; and this hard work has helped me to overcome some of my drawbacks. From this life experience we could say that we should always try to improve ourselves and work hard for it, even when it is hard for us to find an easy way of life, if we are able to keep this attitude and work hard during our lives, we can overcome many issues that could otherwise run us down completely.

Anyhow, the most important years of my young life, was spent in the farm, this was no good, because a youth would be better off to stay in a society and learn the ways of that society, and try to find out the meanings of life, which would help him to learn how to deal with his life in the future in the society that we would be living in; anyhow, those years were spent to live in our family farm and not in the town itself, and this did put me in a disadvantaged position from the start; because everything in the world was changing too fast and farming the old way was on the way out. 

------------------------------

Breaking away from my farm life  

Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule.

For about twelve years I lived this farm life. The only time that I had a break from farming was when I was called to go in the army, which in Italy was a compulsory service to the country, which every able young male must serve when one turns twenty-one years old or soon after that. Then when the army released me, I migrated to Australia. I was then in my early twenties. I was young and not afraid to do hard work, since I had learned in the farm that we needed to work hard to earn our living.

Now, to understand how unfair it was, I have to convey to you the different set up of this town of Genzano; the way that people separate each other in classes, not because they like to be different to each other, but because they are different, therefore, they think and talk in different ways, so, they group themselves with their equals, because they feel more at ease that way: But in reality they are all equal, because all the groups need each to live.

Anyhow, at a certain stage of my life I become aware that I had to break away from farming, because a lot of things were changing and we didn’t earn enough from the small farm that we had, so, it was time for us young farmers to change, and I did.

Anyhow, in my next article, let me continue to talk about my farm life views, and the town I came from, followed by several other articles about my farm life, and the town of Genzano and its communities. 

To see more click on this link, My farm life experience

So, see you next time in my next article, my farm life views. 

---------------------------------  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Farming today compared to the old ways.

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG YOU ARE INVITED, TO BROWSE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE. Anyhow, here I will publish my own diary and what I see happening in the...